Do you want your website to get noticed by Google? Then you might need to apply the right Search Engine Optimization (SEO) strategies to your website. Especially if you are a beginner to SEO, it’s important to understand that there is no crosscut to make your website rank on the first page of search engines such as Google, Bing and Yahoo.
You need to consider applying SEO from the earliest stages of web development. For that, you can seek expert assistance from a web development company in Long Island as they would apply the right SEO techniques, and make sure your website ranks high on search engine result pages (SERPs).
SEO is a combination of approaches that makes a website easier to find through search engines. The search-friendly websites are the ones you see on the first three pages of search results. As search engines are administered by complex algorithms, it takes time and effort to ‘convince’ them that your website or web page deserves one of the top spots.
To make your website SEO friendly and to get Google on your radar, follow these 4 basic tips:
- Go for a Mobile-friendly Design
- Be Mindful of Technical aspects
- Identify crawl errors with a crawl report
- Check XML sitemap status
- Check site load time
- Develop a content strategy
- Integrate social media
Go for a Mobile-friendly Design
Today, majority of users search the internet with their mobile devices and so your goal will be to make your website comfortable to use from both desktop and mobile devices. Even BrightEdge recently reported that 57% of their web traffic came from mobile. The main idea of using SEO is to make a comfortable and informative product.
Also, note that Google is overhauling their entire algorithm to focus on mobile search as it applies mobile-first indexing. This is because, according to BACKLINKO:
58% of all searches in Google are now done from a mobile device.
And according to Google, there are 27.8 billion more queries performed on mobile than desktop.
All these numbers speak that mobile is the future of search. In fact, Google rolled out its Mobile-Friendly Update (which many people called “Mobilegeddon”) a while back to respond to the consumer behavior, which was trending in the direction of mobile. They also extended the use of mobile-friendliness as a ranking signal.
They care so much about a user’s experience with their search engine, that this change was not just an algorithm update, but a cultural shift, where Google moved the market by going mobile-first. Google noted that “ When it comes to search on mobile devices, users should get the most relevant and timely results, no matter if the information lives on mobile-friendly web pages or apps.”
So while you are developing website, make sure it is optimized for mobile phones, because search engines reward mobile-friendly sites. If your website is not, then your ranking and traffic can go down compared to other mobile-friendly websites. The best way to ensure mobile-friendliness is by adopting a responsive website design.
Be Mindful of Technical Aspects
While considering SEO techniques, there are some technical approaches that you have to consider to make your website rank high in search results. They are:
- Identify crawl errors with a crawl report: Run a crawl report for your site, as it will provide insight into some of your site’s errors. You can audit your site using sites such as screaming frog, or ubersuggest. Once you have your report, you may see a lot more issues or minor issues that have been built up overtime. Working on these on a monthly basis can assist with keeping your site safe and running fast.
- Check XML sitemap status: Google always reminds that keeping your sitemaps validated and as error-free as possible helps to improve your SEO. This is because to search engines, an XML sitemap is like a roadmap of the URLs within your website. Therefore, frequently check your sitemap status to prevent incorrect URLs from being crawled. If you have a website that is large, contains videos, images and/or news, then it’s very important to have well-formed, clean and optimized sitemap files.
Moreover, to get noticed by Google and to increase your traffic, you just have to start by submitting and updating your Sitemap. Make sure to submit your most important pages, avoid adding duplicate pages and parts of your site with thin content.
- Check site load time: To accelerate your SEO ranking, it is very important that you have a faster loading site. Imagine a user clicking on your site link, but it’s not loading fast enough. Obviously, from the perspective of your customers, it’s a frustrating feeling. More than a convenience factor, research shows that customers are less likely to return to a website that’s slow to load, which means a slow site could cost you business-and money.
According to Search Engine Watch, a technical SEO error report via SEMrush reports over 23% of sites have slow page load times. Ideally, for either mobile or desktop, your page load time should be less than 3 seconds. If it is more than that, then it is time to start tweaking elements of your site to decrease site load time for better rankings.
Certain factors such as plugins, image size, caching, cache validating, server response time, server response codes, and so on can affect your page load time. So, while tackling your page load time issues, consider all these areas.
To find your site’s load time you can use certain tools, including:
- Develop a Content Strategy: Whether you’re building a website to advertise products and services or simply an informational business platform, one of the most important elements of a website is to have optimized content. Therefore, develop a solid content strategy while you are developing your website. One of the popular content approaches is creating a blog section and filling it with unique and relevant articles that highlight the facets of your area of business.
Proper, relevant and optimized content in a website ensures that you are ranked better in SERPs. It also attracts readers and improves traffic.
- Integrate With Social Media Platforms: To maximize your brand exposure, increase conversions and improve your ROI, integrate your site with various social media platforms. The combined efforts and shared data via social media is a great way of giving your content more user-generated exposure such as gaining likes, shares, mentions, and many other types of backlinks. It also helps
- In increasing search rankings, as search algorithms look for social signals that impact crucial quality and engagement data.
- Your website’s content finds innovative, new and persistent visitors beyond organic reach.
- In building your online presence, trust, and credibility.
- In driving SEO-friendly inbound links (backlinks) as your content is discovered and added to other websites.
- In increasing your local presence and ranking through business profile data and customer reviews.
Though SEO is a long-term strategy, you also have to consider certain strategies at the web development stage too, otherwise, you might run into complications that make your website easier to rebuild completely than to fix. Experienced professionals at a search engine optimization company in New York will help you implement the right SEO strategies to your site and improve the number of website visitors and your ranking.