Festive holidays are the time of the year when people splurge their savings on shopping, travelling and celebrations and they actively start looking for the best deals and offers. According to a survey by MasterCard Spending Pulse, holiday sales increased to 3.4 percent in 2019 compared to 2018. Online sales increased to 18.8 percent and this is expected to increase in 2020. This is an opportunity for businesses to increase their online visibility on search engine and improve sales and ROI. So, this is the time for businesses to polish their SEO strategies to enhance your brand image and reach out to more customers. You can approach a provider of digital marketing services in Long Island that can create an effective SEO campaign strategy to secure higher visibility on search engines and establish a strong online presence.
Before beginning with SEO strategies, let us see the trends expected during this fall and winter holidays. Consumer trends have changed due to the pandemic. So, understanding the latest trends is essential to plan an effective SEO strategy.
- Ecommerce: As people are still maintaining social distancing, they are likely to shop online rather than going to a store. A study that used data from thousands of retailers globally found that online retail sales were 30% higher in America. Several US customers felt that
- 64 percent of people miss going to physical stores
- 88 percent of people are planning to continue purchasing gifts online and sending them to recipients
- 65 percent of people are already or will be comfortable going to shopping malls by mid-October
These figures show that although people are ready to go out shopping, the large majority are likely to continue shopping from ecommerce websites during the holidays. So this is the right time for businesses to come up with exciting discounts and deals to drive more traffic.
- Mobile Apps: According to App Flyer, shopping app revenue increased drastically during the lockdown. The Criteo Global App survey shows that 33% said they use one or more of their newly downloaded shopping apps multiple times per week.
45% heard about an app from family, friends, or co-workers.
51% downloaded at least one shopping app during the coronavirus outbreak.
It was found that an increasing number of shopping apps followed by gaming apps, and streaming apps were downloaded during this time. So, businesses should focus on building user-friendly apps to attract new customers and active customer engagement.
- Brand loyalty: In another customer survey it was found that
- 37% discovered brands selling their products directly to consumers.
- 39% purchased from random online stores for the first time during the peak of COVID-19.
- 33% discovered small businesses that they didn’t know previously.
- 83% said they’re likely to keep purchasing from the new stores they discovered.
To retain brand loyalty in customers, businesses should be in touch with customers and provide relevant offers during holidays.
- Lifestyle: Creto’s Peak to Recovery survey showed that US consumers haven’t changed their buying habits. Data from 20,000 global retailers shows that sales have been increasing across categories like Consumer Electronics and Sporting Goods to Toys & Games, Furniture, and more. Businesses should target audience to connect with their next best shoppers, and be sure to use data-driven product insights to drive holiday deals and campaigns.
- Travel: 62 percent of US consumers are looking forward to travelling again and 64 percent of US people will be wary of planes and trains for some time and there will be more weekend trips. So, to entice people to travel, it is essential to post travel-related ads that will encourage consumers to look forward to the next getaway.
SEO Practices for Festive Holidays
Now that we have a clear idea about consumer trends, let’s analyze some SEO strategies that helps businesses to improve ranking, traffic and sales.
- Begin with keyword research: As the festive seasons begins, start working on content strategy. To begin with, find out the latest set of seasonal keywords that are Christmas-related or New Year-related. Using the right set of seasonal keywords in your content is essential to show up before your potential audience. So optimize your online store with trending festive keywords. You can use keyword research tools like SEMrush, Ahref’s keyword research, Google AdWords Keyword Planner, Ubersuggest,io etc to get relevant keywords.
- Create holiday-based content: Once you have your keywords ready, the next step is to create holiday related content. No matter what products or services you are selling, posting holiday-related content from landing pages to blog posts can attract more customers. Make sure to publish your content as soon as possible because the sooner you do it, the higher are the chances for better ranking. For further improving ranking in search engines, include product pages in your sitemap.
- Learn from the past: Make sure to review your last year’s content performance and find out which content has performed well. See which content received maximum traffic, which content received more dwell time and which content experienced the highest bounce rate. Topics that have higher search volumes are more competitive and niche down content can be easier to rank. So, find the right balance between the two while posting content. Make sure to use your insights from last year and take note of what works and what may not.
- Analyze your existing content: You may already have well-optimized and well-performing content. So, optimizing or updating existing content helps to get the content in the ranking race; another advantage is that updating an existing content is much easier and time-saving than creating a new one from scratch. Moreover, existing content will have existing backlinks and updating them doesn’t involve much effort. To optimize an existing content, the first step is to analyze it and find out the top performing pages or blog post. The next step is to run a keyword research to find out the top keywords and use these keywords to make the old content new along with the same URL. Add new metadata, title, focused keyword, feature images etc.
- Increase your site speed: Page speed is a vital SEO factor. This is because no user will wait more than 3 seconds for a page to open, and slow sit speed will result in high bounce rates. However, during festive holidays the congestion may overload the server resulting in slow loading speed. So, make sure that your servers are able to handle the overload and prevent slow page loading. You can use tools like Google’s PageSpeed Insights to analyze the page load time identify the issues that need to be fixed to make the page load faster.
- Focus on mobile-friendliness: Most users now use mobile phones to browse and do online shopping. According to Business Insider, the US volume for mobile shopping is expected to increase from $128.4 billion in 2019 to $418.9 billion through 2024. So, having a responsive website is crucial for businesses, otherwise you may be losing out on many potential buyers.
- Keep an eye on your competitors: Knowing what your competitors are doing helps you to stand out among them. Tracking and analyzing the marketing campaign of your competitors is one way of getting more leads. Social media is one of the best places to spy and know what your competitors are up to.
- Optimize social media campaigns: According to a survey stated in an article by makewebetter.com, 50% of companies that ignore social media marketing are struggling to succeed in SEO ranking. Having a good social media marketing plan is the best way to attract maximum target audience. Make sure to optimize your social media posts and be consistent in posting. It also helps you to engage with potential buyers and this can increase your ranking and boost conversion rates.
If you are planning to create holiday-related content to attract more customers, then approach a reliable SEO company in Long Island that can optimize the content and thereby attract more potential buyers to your website.