Why Long-tail Keywords Are Important

Long-tail Keywords

Search engine marketing might be evolving significantly, but keywords are still important for content marketing.

Every search engine optimization (SEO) strategy starts with keyword research – analyzing what keywords relevant to your business are, how competitors have ranked for these keywords, what keyword variations you can incorporate to gain an edge over the competition, focusing on relevant keyword phrases that competitors haven’t optimized for, etc.

Effective keyword research makes the difference. But it is important to ensure that you focus on keywords that can actually deliver results, those that your target audience will inevitably end up searching. Keyword research isn’t of much use unless you know why people search the way they do.

Effectiveness of Long-tail Keywords

Whatever be your field of business, long-tail keyword phrases have proven to be effective. Digital marketing gurus keep emphasizing its importance. Now the natural instinct is to look for keywords ranking in the top 10 results. While these are super important, with 60% of all the organic clicks users make targeting the search results in the top 3, there’s the remaining 40% too that you should think of. That’s a significant chunk of traffic you need to exploit. That’s what long-tail keywords can help you do.

A recent study by a prominent SaaS company of the keyword rankings it conducted revealed that long-tail keywords were more impacted by on-page optimization than the other keywords. Long-tail keywords can therefore help you get ahead of the competition with fully optimized pages or blog posts.

Why Long-tail Keywords Make Sense

Long-tail Keywords

Statist a research reveals that 50% of your on-page optimization focus must be on long-tail keywords. That’s because genuine searchers usually carry out long term searches when they really want to know something about a topic. The longer your keyword is, the easier it gets to rank well for it. Let’s suppose you’re looking for a VR game to buy. Instead of just searching for “VR” or “VR game”, you’d be searching for something like “best VR games”, “most affordable VR games” or “best virtual reality games of 2018”.

The reason for that is, more details entered give the searcher the feeling that they’d get results closer to what they specifically want. That’s not necessarily the case with people searching the web just to gain generic information or knowledge about some term, concept or product. But as a business, you’re targeting the searcher who’s genuinely looking for some product or service for some practical need. A keyword phrase that has four or more keywords is ideal.

Getting Long-tail Keyword Ideas

Long-tail Keywords

 
To come up with long-tail keywords relevant to your business, first check what your seed keywords are. If it’s blood pressure equipment you’re dealing with, that’s your seed keyword. In the Google Keyword Planner, you need to enter “blood pressure equipment”, and you’ll get ideas.

Among the ideas, search for keywords that are the most relevant and in demand. These are the keywords you can expand on to create longer variations. Select one of these keywords and enter it in the keyword planner search box.

Now you’ll get some long-tail keyword ideas. There are other tools too that can help you identify and use long-tail keywords. Most of these are paid tools-SEOProfiler, SEMRush, KWfinder, Long Tail Pro and WordTracker Keyword Tool. The humble Google auto-suggest feature, by which you get suggestions as you begin to enter the keyword in the Google search box, can also give you some great long-tail ideas. Helping you here is the Keyword Tool Dominator free tool that uses Google’s auto-suggestion feature and helps you find all auto-suggested keywords.

Long-tail Keywords

Get the Right Team to Work for You

An experienced Long Island SEO company can indentify long-tail keywords that are really effective and relevant and weave content around it. Consistent publishing of in-depth content around the long-tail keywords would help you attract more quality search traffic. You have genuine searchers entering your site, looking for products or services you offer.

So you have a much greater chance of increasing your conversions and earnings and thereby improving the ROI from your digital marketing efforts. More traffic to your website actually helps its rankings too, with Google reckoning that the site is a quality one since people are really flocking to it. That’s how long-tail keywords can really help you create and multiply organic search traffic.